This North Slope Historic District home home was built for Henry Rhodes in 1901. Originally designed by Spalding, Russel & Heath, in 1907 Frederick Heath designed the three-story addition on the north side of the home. Henry Rhodes came to Tacoma in 1890 with his two brothers, Albert and Charles and opened a tea and coffee shop. This enterprise grew into the Rhodes Brothers Department store. The department store was Washington’s first and for many years, the largest department store in the state. Mr Rhodes later established and headed the Rainer National Park Corporation that built the Paradise Lodge that is still in use today. He was also involved in building the Winthrop Hotel and the Medical Arts Building.