Thinking about selling your home? Here a 5 things to do before the for sale sign goes in the front yard.
1. Be proactive and get a pre-inspection. The home inspector will be able to spot areas that stand out to potential buyers as problems. With a pre-inspection, you will be able to make repairs or understand your need to, before the home is on the market.
2. Organize and clean. Get rid of the clutter, pack up your least used items, clothes you are not wearing, toys, and family portraits. Store items off site or in boxes that are neatly stacked in the garage. Clean, clean and clean. Windows, carpets, walls and light fixtures. A fresh coat of paint can work magic.
3. Maximize your curb appeal. Drive by your own house. What do you see? Does your lawn and landscaping look cared for and tidy? Could you use some bright flowers or plants to frame the entrance? Is your front door clean and the entry welcoming?
4. Find your warranties. Get all your manuals, warranties and guarantees for the furnace, appliances and any other items that will remain with the house. Putting them in a basket in the kitchen will give your potential buyer peace of mind.
5. Get replacement estimates. Do you have big ticket items that are worn out? An unusual color of carpet? Get estimates for these items, even if you don’t plan on replacing them. The figures will help buyers determine if they can afford the home, and will be handy when negotiations begin.