Designed and built in 1895 by the Cornell Brothers for William Ferguson, this home is a Neo-Colonial in style. Mr. Ferguson came to Tacoma from Ireland in 1890 and was one of the founders of First Presbyterian Church. In 1941, the home became a sanitarium, as did the neighboring home in 1948. Large additions were added to both homes in the 1960’s. After many years of medical use, in 2006, the last business moved. The North Slope Historic District then convinced the owner of the buildings to remove the additions and return the buildings into residences. Both houses are now restored to their former glory!
This Four-Square was designed by Proctor and Farrell, (and yes, the Proctor District was named after this architect, John Proctor) in 1903 for Ernest Lister, who
was to become the eighth governor of Washington. Lister was elected governor in 1913, the first Democrat to hold the office in more than 12 years. He was re-elected in 1917 but suffered a heart attack in 1919 and died in office at age 48. Tacoma was at the zenith of political power at this time with the Chief Justice, the Speaker of the House and the Lt. Governor all living in Tacoma in the North Slope Historic District
This home was designed and built by the Cornell Brothers in 1895 for William Gardener. Mr Gardner was a business partner to William Ferguson and they owned and operated a plumbing and steam supply company. In 1948, the house became part of a sanitarium that had been established in Mr. Ferguson’s neighboring house in 1941! Large additions were made to both houses in the 1960’s. In 2006, when all medical usage of the buildings ceased, the North Slope Historic District persuaded the owner to remove the additions and the homes were returned to residences. The properties have now been restored to their original glory.
This is the first house on the North Slope Historic District walking tour. Built in 1915 for Dr. Warren Brown, it was designed to be both his home and office. Dr. Brown lived in Tacoma for over 30 years and was considered to be one of Tacoma’s premier physicians. Besides working as a physician, Dr. Brown was president of the Lennox Investment Company.
This Stick-Style home was built in 1889 for John and Virginia Mason, (Nope, she is not the “Virginia” of Virginia Mason Hospital, I checked.) John Mason was from Illinois and had enlisted with the Chicago Mercantile Battery of artillery at the start of the Civil War and served at Vicksburg under General Sherman. He was later drafted into the military telegraph service. After the war he returned to Chicago and worked in telegraph service, eventually becoming the chief dispatcher for the Wabash Rail Road line. In 1888, Mr. Mason moved to Tacoma as the assistant superintendent of the Northern Pacific Railway. His wife, Virginia was an early suffragette, and helped make Washington one of the first four states to adopt women’s suffrage. She was also influential in establishing Franke Toby Jones retirement home.